[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 554: include_once(./includes/auth/auth_.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 554: include_once(): Failed opening './includes/auth/auth_.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/pear:/usr/share/php')
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 403: Division by zero
- View topic - Cacti CD beta
It is currently

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 147  Next
Cacti CD beta 
Site Admin

Post Cacti CD beta
I have recently been playing around with the concept of a Cacti CD. I have created an auto-installing CD based on CentOS 4.1. This CD completely installs and configured the OS, Net-SNMP, RRDTool 1.2, Cacti, CactiD, the Plugin Architecture, and several plugins. Everything is all preconfigured and completely working after initial install. This all requires ZERO input from the user except inserting the CD. This should make it very easy for anyone to test out Cacti.

The disk is a completely remastered CD (from the 4 CD version, not the Server CD) and stripped down to the bare essentials (no GUI). The CD weighs in at roughly 345 Meg, and installed is roughly 700 Megs. At only 284 packages, it still includes a preconfigured firewall (only allowing http, ssh, and remote Syslog).

I will be releasing a simple beta version of this CD in a few days. At this point, I am wanting some input to see if there is any real interest for this.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT- You can now grab a beta copy here.
[b]Link removed[b]

Its hosted via a different server / domain in which I have a heck of alot more bandwidth to spare than the current one. Maybe eventually I will throw up a torrent or something.

Profile WWW

This sounds so great. After about 2 weeks hard work, I got cacti running only the syslog part makes still some trouble. I hope you also implemented this... .-)

I hope you will release it soon...

Michael

Site Admin

Hi

This sounds so great. After about 2 weeks hard work, I got cacti running only the syslog part makes still some trouble. I hope you also implemented this... .-)

I hope you will release it soon...

Michael

Yes, the syslog while be included and working by default. I am using MSyslog to get the job done, it has worked very well in my setup so far. The current beta has it installed, but I need to do some small tweaking to get it working perfectly. The first actual release should have everything working just fine.

I plan on later (its in the works now) including a complete backup plugin, which will allow you to schedule backups, and FTP these backups off the server. If your Cacti server, ever dies, just insert the CD into another server, and you can restore the last backup from FTP, and you are right back where you last left off.

Profile WWW

just wondering if you have any time for real life :P

In general this is very interessting.
I have started playing with Linux and Cacti with last year with a distribution called Sentinix (no longer supported) which had Cacti included.

Today I use Cacti on SuSE Enterprise Server butI like to install your Cacti CD on my test system.

P.S. Can you include Webmin ?

Site Admin

I have thought about this before, I don't have it installed yet, but I will before the actual first official release. Sendmail, etc... will all have to be setup before Thresholds will work, so this is the easiest way to get it done that I can see. Plus it will make it easy to configure anything else you want to put on the server.

Profile WWW
Site Admin

Pumpi wrote:

I have thought about this before, I don't have it installed yet, but I will before the actual first official release. Sendmail, etc... will all have to be setup before Thresholds will work, so this is the easiest way to get it done that I can see. Plus it will make it easy to configure anything else you want to put on the server.

Just thought you would like to know that webmin is now installed by defualt and allowed through the firewall.

Profile WWW
New User

Post Cacti CD
jimmy,

Great news. That is what I have been waiting for.

I recently installed Ubuntu and Cacti, but I will step back in the queue and wait for a Cacti/CentOS.

That may give for a Windows man a rocket startup using Cacti/Linux.

Best regards,

\xphu

thanks for adding Webmin.This application is very helpful for all necessary tasks especially for persons like me coming from the M$ world :)

Great work and thanks in advance !!!

Site Admin

I have now ironed out the last problem with Msyslog and now have it working correctly. I will see about uploading the current version to my site for you all to test out. This isn't an official release or anything, but it should be working perfectly fine for you to test out (VMWare is your friend for these types of things).

I will post a link here when it is finished uploading.

Profile WWW
Post Re: Cacti CD
[quote="jimmy"]
I will be releasing a simple beta version of this CD in a few days. At this point, I am wanting some input to see if there is any real interest for this.[/quote]

Your idea makes perfect sence! Keep going!
I am considering migrating from CA/Unicenter to Cacti because of it's flexibility and ease of use. Problem being how to do this in a large org. With a plug-and-play CD installation and an ftp-backup/restore option, just about any of our (windows-oriented) system engineers should be able use Cacti :)

Mees

Site Admin

I have now posted a link (see first post) that contains a beta ISO of the CD. Everything seems to work so far.

Things of note.

Msyslog booting up before Mysql seems to have issues, but rebooting yet again (or restarting the service) after the install seems to fix the issue (only did it once to me, but I will see if I can provide a work around if it does it to others too). Let me know if this happens to you, after 5 - 10 minutes, you should have some syslog stuff in your syslog tab.

You will want to issue the command "ntpdate -u 0.pool.ntp.org" a few times are initially booting up to syncronize your time, I have ntp running, but it will not do it properly if your hardware clock is way off.

You will want to use webmin to properly setup sendmail, I can't do this for you since everyone requirements are different.

Some useful info you will need.
To login to the OS (you will want to change this)
user: root
pass: CactiEZ

To login to cacti (it prompts to change this)
user: admin
pass: admin

Get to webmin at (requires the root user / pass)
https://serverip:10000

It runs off of DHCP, so if that isn't going to work in your setup, you will have to modify it yourself.

Let me know what issues you have, and also, don't even think of running this on your production system yet or putting it in a system that you want the data off of, since it completely blows away everything on the HD (no prompts!!!!)

Profile WWW

P.s. I hope functions like SSH access, HTTPs, IPTables/Firewall, FTP acesss are also included ?

:P

New User

Post Cacti CD
jimmy,

I got the following stop (error) when starting to install?
Probing for mouse type: Generic - 3 Button Mouse (PS/2)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/anaconda", line 1122, in ?
instClass.setInstallData(id)
File "/usr/lib/anaconda/kickstart.py" , line 1440, in setInstallData
raice KickstartError, e
kickstart.KickstartValueError: specified disk sda in partition command which
s not exist
install exited abnormally
sending termination signalls...done
sending kill signals...done
I got the same result with three different PCs.

\Xphu :(

Site Admin

xphu wrote:
jimmy,

I got the following stop (error) when starting to install?
Probing for mouse type: Generic - 3 Button Mouse (PS/2)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/anaconda", line 1122, in ?
instClass.setInstallData(id)
File "/usr/lib/anaconda/kickstart.py" , line 1440, in setInstallData
raice KickstartError, e
kickstart.KickstartValueError: specified disk sda in partition command which
s not exist
install exited abnormally
sending termination signalls...done
sending kill signals...done
I got the same result with three different PCs.

\Xphu :(

What types of hard drives are you using? SCSI? PATA? SATA? I may have to leave the ability to partition your own disks.

Profile WWW
Site Admin

I'll give it a try - thanks !!

P.s. I hope functions like SSH access, HTTPs, IPTables/Firewall, FTP acesss are also included ?

:P

SSH, Yes

HTTPS, not by default, I could add this, but it could be difficult with the certificate signing

IPTables, yep on by default blocking everything but the services that are needed

FTP, nope, too insecure, but I do have FTPS, and you can instead use a program like WinSCP to transfer files using SSH.

Profile WWW
Post What types of hard drives are you using?
Hi,

My oldfashioned test PCs has got ide hard drives?

\Xphu

kickstart.KickstartValue Error: specified disk sda in partition command which does not exist.... :(

How must I set the partition on my harddisc. ??

Site Admin

Same installation error on my notebook:

kickstart.KickstartValue Error: specified disk sda in partition command which does not exist.... :(

How must I set the partition on my harddisc. ??

This is probably because all my test machines are using SCSI, I will unlock the partitioning to allow you to partition it yourselfs, which should alleviate this issue.

Profile WWW

Site Admin

jimmy wrote:
What types of hard drives are you using? SCSI? PATA? SATA? I may have to leave the ability to partition your own disks.

Actually, I now have reconfigured the script to use whatever hard drives are available. I'll upload a new version tomorrow.

Profile WWW

Site Admin

I'll grab it a.s.a.p. :P

Beta 2 is now uploaded and available. The link in the first post has been updated. This should fix the issue when installing with non-SCSI hard drives, and I also updated the Syslog plugin to include the ability to specify items to delete or alert on.

Profile WWW

Site Admin

Download is running ;-)

Great, let me know how it works out for you!

Profile WWW

running CactiEZ on my notebook until now with no problems. :P

Is it possible to support German keyboards too ?

Site Admin

Great work Jimmy,

That shouldn't be a problem. I will see what I can do. I haven't really tried to internationalize it yet, mainly since I had nothing to test with. I'll play around with it and see what happens.

Profile WWW
Site Admin

Great work Jimmy,

Mind trying something for me, I've never played with international keyboards, so I have never had to set one up. Can you edit this file
Code:
/etc/sysconfig/i18n
and replace the line
Code:
SUPPORTED="en_US.UTF-8:en_US"
with this
Code:
SUPPORTED="en_US.UTF-8:en_US:en:en_GB.UTF-8:en_GB:en:en_US.UTF-8:en_US:en:fr_FR.UTF-8:fr_FR:fr:de_DE.UTF-8:de_DE:de:el_GR.UTF-8:el_GR:el"

Which should allow support for US, British, Germain and French, I hope!

Profile WWW
New User

Post Cacti CD
Jimmy and pumpi

Could you please include Finnish (fi) as well!

\Xphu

User

This is awesome!
Thanks so much for doing this! I was fighting some issues with the syslog plugin on my production box with the fifo - here it just works.

I powered up the conmputer, popped the CD in, got busy doing other stuff and a little later the CD tray opened - grabbed the CD & rebooted. I logged in, changed the root pw, gave it a static ip , cut a hole in the firewall for it and was in business. All this in less than 7 minutes!

This has to be the easiest server install I have ever done! now all I have to do is gen some certs and turn on https.

Is there a way to just import the device tables from the production server?
Thanks,
Eric

New User

Jimmy, fix is working for my German keyboard :)

@ xphu I'm not a Linux freak, but we know now the file and syntax so you should find the informations you need for your native language.

Site Admin

@ xphu I'm not a Linux freak, but we know now the file and syntax so you should find the informations you need for your native language.

Excellent, now that I know its working, I will try to add as many as possible. If I happen to miss anyones native keyboard, just let me know.

Profile WWW
Site Admin

Holy Shit!!!!
This is awesome!

<snip>

Is there a way to just import the device tables from the production server?
Thanks,
Eric

I am certianly glad the CD is working out for you!

You should be able to just export the "host" table from the old database, and import it into this one. You will have to recreate all your graphs / datasources, but it should work without any issues. You may want to remove the "localhost" datasources first, just to make sure there are no issues.

Also, a few of the plugins on there are the newest beta of what I am working on (Syslog has the remove and alert options). I am actually working on a backup plugin which will allow you to schedule nightly backups, and will ftp them off the server for you. If the server ever dies, you just pop the CD in another server, install, go into Cacti, select restore, and have it pull the last FTP backup and you are back up and running with everything exactly the same.

Profile WWW
New User

Post CactiEZ
jimmy wrote:
Pumpi wrote:

Excellent, now that I know its working, I will try to add as many as possible. If I happen to miss anyones native keyboard, just let me know.

jimmy&pumpi

Right now I am quite busy with my customers activities, but I will give a try when ever jimmy is releasing the next beta with Finnish keyboard.

Thanks a lot!

I am old Windows man learning slowly Linux. This is a great way of doing it.

\Xphu

New User

Post Find a big bug on your beta2 CD ,jimmy ,please come in!
Today I find that the sql file backed up from cacti could not import to the cacti database correct,noticing "field SPAM could not be NULL".there have much errors like this.
I check the sql file ,find that the table define that some fields must NOT NULL, but the insert statement give them 'NULL',not like ''.
can you tell me how to do it?

Site Admin

Post Re: Find a big bug on your beta2 CD ,jimmy ,please come in!
funfunfun wrote:
Today I find that the sql file backed up from cacti could not import to the cacti database correct,noticing "field SPAM could not be NULL".there have much errors like this.
I check the sql file ,find that the table define that some fields must NOT NULL, but the insert statement give them 'NULL',not like ''.
can you tell me how to do it?

How are you backing up the database? The backup plugin on the CD is far far from complete, and still needs alot of work.

Profile WWW
Site Admin

xphu wrote:
Jimmy and pumpi

Could you please include Finnish (fi) as well!

\Xphu

Can you edit this file
Code:
/etc/sysconfig/i18n
and replace the line
Code:
SUPPORTED="en_US.UTF-8:en_US"
with this
Code:
SUPPORTED="en_US.UTF-8:en_US:en:en_GB.UTF-8:en_GB:en:en_US.UTF-8:en_US:en:fr_FR.UTF-8:fr_FR:fr:de_DE.UTF-8:de_DE:de:el_GR.UTF-8:el_GR:el:fi_FI@euro:fi_FI:fi"

Reboot, and then let me know if your Finnish keyboard is working or not.

Profile WWW
New User

Yes I have backed up all files include sql file by using the backup plugins in your beta2 CD installing.
By the way,can I backup the database from webmin's mysql database server?and can the backup sql file be restored correctly this way?
THX!

New User

I have made a version of cacti-86g installing CD(also CentOS) including much more templates than your beta2,just like HP-UNIX,IBM-AIX,apache-stats,mysql-stats,oracle server monitor,HUAWEI switcher,advanced ping,sockets-actives,etc,and all of them work fine for me.
In your beta2 CD,I want to know how to using the discovery plugin and the mac-trank(???) plugin,can you give me a demo or some explains?
thank you very much,english is not my mother language,sorry.

New User

Admire your FTP site very much!
Here downloading........... over 2M/s,like flying.

Site Admin

to jimmy:
I have made a version of cacti-86g installing CD(also CentOS) including much more templates than your beta2,just like HP-UNIX,IBM-AIX,apache-stats,mysql-stats,oracle server monitor,HUAWEI switcher,advanced ping,sockets-actives,etc,and all of them work fine for me.
In your beta2 CD,I want to know how to using the discovery plugin and the mac-trank(???) plugin,can you give me a demo or some explains?
thank you very much,english is not my mother language,sorry.

I do plan on adding quite a bit more templates before the official release, its still in beta now, so many things can change before then.

The discover plugin just requires you to add a subnet (example 10.2.0.*) to the settings. It will then scan that subnet ever 6 hours to find hosts on subnet, and whether they have SNMP enabled.

As far the Mac Track plugin, you will have to check here.
http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=9336
I didn't write it, I just converted it to a plugin.

Profile WWW
Site Admin

to jimmy:
Admire your FTP site very much!
Here downloading........... over 2M/s,like flying.

HTTP you mean, I don't believe that there is anonymous access to the FTP.

The ISO is hosted on my Dreamhost account. I only use it as a download site, since they supply you with such high bandwidth. You can get one yourself for fairly cheap. I even found a promotion code that will save you $50 off a year of hosting.

Profile WWW
New User

Post jimmy,come in please!
Today morning I find a bug about linux's logrotate:
this is my logs:
Quote:
localhost.localdomain 2005-12-18 08:54:27 om_mysql_write: 63 messages were lost due to lack of connection notice

localhost.localdomain 2005-12-18 05:30:43 crond: crond shutdown succeeded notice

localhost.localdomain 2005-12-18 05:30:43 crond: crond startup succeeded notice

localhost.localdomain 2005-12-18 05:30:42 sshd: succeeded notice

localhost.localdomain 2005-12-18 05:30:39 snmpd: snmpd startup succeeded notice

localhost.localdomain 2005-12-18 05:30:39 sshd: sshd -TERM succeeded notice

localhost.localdomain 2005-12-18 05:30:39 snmpd: snmpd shutdown succeeded notice

localhost.localdomain 2005-12-18 05:30:01 sshd: succeeded notice

localhost.localdomain 2005-12-18 05:29:58 sshd: sshd -TERM succeeded notice

localhost.localdomain 2005-12-18 04:02:01 logrotate: ALERT exited abnormally with [1] notice

Mysql do not run after the crond run logrotate!

New User

New User

why mysql shutdown auto itself?

Quote:
051217 10:48:11 mysqld started
InnoDB: The first specified data file ./ibdata1 did not exist:
InnoDB: a new database to be created!
051217 10:48:11 InnoDB: Setting file ./ibdata1 size to 10 MB
InnoDB: Database physically writes the file full: wait...
051217 10:48:11 InnoDB: Log file ./ib_logfile0 did not exist: new to be created
InnoDB: Setting log file ./ib_logfile0 size to 5 MB
051217 10:48:11 InnoDB: Log file ./ib_logfile1 did not exist: new to be created
InnoDB: Setting log file ./ib_logfile1 size to 5 MB
InnoDB: Doublewrite buffer not found: creating new
InnoDB: Doublewrite buffer created
InnoDB: Creating foreign key constraint system tables
InnoDB: Foreign key constraint system tables created
051217 10:48:11 InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 0
/usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections.
Version: '4.1.10a' socket: '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' port: 3306 Source distribution
051217 10:48:26 [Note] /usr/libexec/mysqld: Normal shutdown

051217 10:48:26 InnoDB: Starting shutdown...
051217 10:54:16 mysqld started
051217 10:54:16 InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 43634
Version: '4.1.10a' socket: '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' port: 3306 Source distribution
051218 5:30:43 [Note] /usr/libexec/mysqld: Normal shutdown

051218 5:30:43 InnoDB: Starting shutdown...
A mysqld process already exists at Sun Dec 18 05:30:45 CST 2005
051218 5:30:46 InnoDB: Shutdown completed; log sequence number 0 43634
051218 5:30:46 [Note] /usr/libexec/mysqld: Shutdown complete

051218 05:30:46 mysqld ended

051218 08:54:26 mysqld started
051218 8:54:27 InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 43634
Version: '4.1.12' socket: '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' port: 3306 Source distribution

Status information:

Current dir: /var/lib/mysql/
Running threads: 1 Stack size: 196608
Current locks:
lock: 0x9753640:

lock: 0x976c920:

New User

Here is the yum.log:
Quote:
Dec 18 04:09:30 Installed: sqlite.i386 3.2.2-1
Dec 18 04:09:30 Installed: python-sqlite.i386 1.1.6-1
Dec 18 04:09:30 Installed: python-urlgrabber.noarch 2.9.6-2
Dec 18 04:09:30 Installed: python-elementtree.i386 1.2.6-4
Dec 18 04:09:30 Updated: yum.noarch 2.4.0-1.centos4
Dec 18 05:29:48 Updated: libgcc.i386 3.4.4-2
Dec 18 05:29:48 Updated: setup.noarch 2.5.37-1.3
Dec 18 05:29:48 Updated: hwdata.noarch 0.146.12.EL-1
Dec 18 05:29:49 Updated: tzdata.noarch 2005m-1.EL4
Dec 18 05:29:49 Updated: redhat-logos.noarch 1.1.26-1.centos4
Dec 18 05:29:49 Updated: rmt.i386 0.4b39-3.EL4.2
Dec 18 05:29:50 Updated: centos-release.i386 6:4-2.1
Dec 18 05:29:50 Updated: rhnlib.noarch 1.8.1-1.p23.1
Dec 18 05:29:56 Updated: glibc-common.i386 2.3.4-2.13
Dec 18 05:30:01 Updated: glibc.i686 2.3.4-2.13
Dec 18 05:30:01 Updated: zlib.i386 1.2.1.2-1.2
Dec 18 05:30:01 Updated: e2fsprogs.i386 1.35-12.2.EL4
Dec 18 05:30:01 Updated: popt.i386 1.9.1-11_nonptl
Dec 18 05:30:04 Updated: perl.i386 3:5.8.5-16.RHEL4
Dec 18 05:30:04 Updated: bzip2-libs.i386 1.0.2-13.EL4.2
Dec 18 05:30:04 Updated: rpm-libs.i386 4.3.3-11_nonptl
Dec 18 05:30:04 Updated: net-snmp-libs.i386 5.1.2-11.EL4.6
Dec 18 05:30:04 Installed: audit-libs.i386 1.0.3-6.EL4
Dec 18 05:30:04 Updated: pcre.i386 4.5-3.2.RHEL4
Dec 18 05:30:05 Updated: device-mapper.i386 1.01.04-1.0.RHEL4
Dec 18 05:30:05 Updated: apr.i386 0.9.4-24.5
Dec 18 05:30:05 Updated: libstdc++.i386 3.4.4-2
Dec 18 05:30:05 Updated: tar.i386 1.14-8.RHEL4
Dec 18 05:30:05 Updated: rhpl.i386 0.148.3-1
Dec 18 05:30:05 Updated: iputils.i386 20020927-18.EL4.1
Dec 18 05:30:05 Updated: gzip.i386 1.3.3-15.rhel4
Dec 18 05:30:05 Updated: cpio.i386 2.5-8.RHEL4
Dec 18 05:30:05 Updated: vim-minimal.i386 1:6.3.046-0.40E.7
Dec 18 05:30:05 Updated: bzip2.i386 1.0.2-13.EL4.2
Dec 18 05:30:06 Installed: e2fsprogs-devel.i386 1.35-12.2.EL4
Dec 18 05:30:06 Installed: zlib-devel.i386 1.2.1.2-1.2
Dec 18 05:30:07 Updated: binutils.i386 2.15.92.0.2-15
Dec 18 05:30:07 Installed: beecrypt-devel.i386 3.1.0-6
Dec 18 05:30:07 Installed: elfutils-libelf-devel.i386 0.97-5
Dec 18 05:30:07 Installed: elfutils-devel.i386 0.97-5
Dec 18 05:30:07 Updated: sysreport.noarch 1.3.15-5
Dec 18 05:30:07 Updated: dmraid.i386 1.0.0.rc8-1_RHEL4_U2
Dec 18 05:30:07 Updated: audit.i386 1.0.3-6.EL4
Dec 18 05:30:07 Updated: logrotate.i386 3.7.1-5.RHEL4
Dec 18 05:30:08 Updated: system-config-securitylevel-tui.i386 1.4.19.2-1
Dec 18 05:30:08 Updated: php-gd.i386 4.3.9-3.9
Dec 18 05:30:08 Updated: netconfig.i386 0.8.21-1.1
Dec 18 05:30:08 Updated: unix2dos.i386 2.2-24.1
Dec 18 05:30:08 Updated: telnet.i386 1:0.17-31.EL4.3
Dec 18 05:30:08 Updated: httpd-suexec.i386 2.0.52-19.ent.centos4
Dec 18 05:30:08 Updated: hotplug.i386 3:2004_04_01-7.6
Dec 18 05:30:08 Updated: grub.i386 0.95-3.5
Dec 18 05:30:08 Updated: rdist.i386 1:6.1.5-38.40.1
Dec 18 05:30:08 Updated: dump.i386 0.4b39-3.EL4.2
Dec 18 05:30:08 Updated: centos-yumconf.noarch 4-4.3
Dec 18 05:30:09 Updated: mysql-devel.i386 4.1.12-3.RHEL4.1
Dec 18 05:30:10 Updated: comps.i386 2:4.2CENTOS-0.20051011
Dec 18 05:30:13 Updated: rpmdb-CentOS.i386 2:4.2-0.20051011
Dec 18 05:30:13 Updated: php-devel.i386 4.3.9-3.9
Dec 18 05:30:14 Updated: php-pear.i386 4.3.9-3.9
Dec 18 05:30:15 Updated: man-pages.noarch 1.67-7.EL4
Dec 18 05:30:16 Updated: coreutils.i386 5.2.1-31.2
Dec 18 05:30:17 Updated: pam.i386 0.77-66.13
Dec 18 05:30:18 Updated: krb5-libs.i386 1.3.4-17
Dec 18 05:30:18 Updated: openssl.i686 0.9.7a-43.4
Dec 18 05:30:19 Updated: shadow-utils.i386 2:4.0.3-58.RHEL4
Dec 18 05:30:19 Updated: openldap.i386 2.2.13-4
Dec 18 05:30:19 Updated: mysql.i386 4.1.12-3.RHEL4.1
Dec 18 05:30:20 Updated: util-linux.i386 2.12a-16.EL4.12
Dec 18 05:30:20 Updated: rpm.i386 4.3.3-11_nonptl
Dec 18 05:30:21 Updated: lvm2.i386 2.01.14-2.0.RHEL4
Dec 18 05:30:21 Updated: dbus.i386 0.22-12.EL.5
Dec 18 05:30:21 Updated: curl.i386 7.12.1-6.rhel4
Dec 18 05:30:21 Updated: procps.i386 3.2.3-8.2
Dec 18 05:30:21 Updated: rpm-python.i386 4.3.3-11_nonptl
Dec 18 05:30:21 Updated: apr-util.i386 0.9.4-21
Dec 18 05:30:21 Updated: nscd.i386 2.3.4-2.13
Dec 18 05:30:22 Updated: policycoreutils.i386 1.18.1-4.7
Dec 18 05:30:22 Updated: kudzu.i386 1.1.95.15-1
Dec 18 05:30:23 Updated: SysVinit.i386 2.85-34.3
Dec 18 05:30:23 Updated: dbus-glib.i386 0.22-12.EL.5
Dec 18 05:30:24 Installed: rpm-devel.i386 4.3.3-11_nonptl
Dec 18 05:30:25 Installed: krb5-devel.i386 1.3.4-17
Dec 18 05:30:25 Installed: openssl-devel.i586 0.9.7a-43.4
Dec 18 05:30:25 Updated: selinux-policy-targeted.noarch 1.17.30-2.110
Dec 18 05:30:26 Updated: nss_ldap.i386 226-10
Dec 18 05:30:27 Updated: mysql-server.i386 4.1.12-3.RHEL4.1
Dec 18 05:30:27 Updated: php-mysql.i386 4.3.9-3.9
Dec 18 05:30:27 Updated: openssh-server.i386 3.9p1-8.RHEL4.9
Dec 18 05:30:27 Updated: slocate.i386 2.7-13.el4.6
Dec 18 05:30:27 Updated: lockdev.i386 1.0.1-6.1
Dec 18 05:30:28 Updated: wget.i386 1.10.2-0.40E
Dec 18 05:30:28 Updated: php-snmp.i386 4.3.9-3.9
Dec 18 05:30:28 Updated: openssh-clients.i386 3.9p1-8.RHEL4.9
Dec 18 05:30:28 Updated: krb5-workstation.i386 1.3.4-17
Dec 18 05:30:28 Updated: pam_krb5.i386 2.1.8-1
Dec 18 05:30:28 Updated: sudo.i386 1.6.7p5-30.1.3
Dec 18 05:30:28 Updated: passwd.i386 0.68-10.1
Dec 18 05:30:28 Updated: pdksh.i386 5.2.14-30.3
Dec 18 05:30:29 Updated: httpd.i386 2.0.52-19.ent.centos4
Dec 18 05:30:29 Updated: php.i386 4.3.9-3.9
Dec 18 05:30:29 Updated: udev.i386 039-10.10.EL4
Dec 18 05:30:29 Updated: mkinitrd.i386 4.2.1.6-1
Dec 18 05:30:30 Updated: up2date.i386 4.4.50-4.centos4
Dec 18 05:30:31 Updated: initscripts.i386 7.93.20.EL-1.centos4
Dec 18 05:30:35 Installed: kernel.i686 2.6.9-22.0.1.EL
Dec 18 05:30:35 Updated: kernel-utils.i386 1:2.4-13.1.69
Dec 18 05:30:36 Updated: lm_sensors.i386 2.8.7-2.40.3
Dec 18 05:30:36 Updated: net-snmp.i386 5.1.2-11.EL4.6
Dec 18 05:30:37 Updated: openssh.i386 3.9p1-8.RHEL4.9
Dec 18 05:30:37 Updated: net-snmp-perl.i386 5.1.2-11.EL4.6
Dec 18 05:30:37 Updated: tcpdump.i386 14:3.8.2-10.RHEL4
Dec 18 05:30:37 Updated: net-snmp-utils.i386 5.1.2-11.EL4.6
Dec 18 05:30:37 Updated: vixie-cron.i386 4:4.1-36.EL4
Dec 18 05:30:37 Updated: net-snmp-devel.i386 5.1.2-11.EL4.6
Dec 18 05:30:38 Updated: libpcap.i386 14:0.8.3-10.RHEL4

Site Admin

Does the yum updating effect mysql?

It does appear that Yum caused the problem. It updated you to CentOS 4.2. My 2 test boxes updated the first night I had them running, but they didn't have the same issue of mysql dying. I will play around with them and see if I can reproduce it.

With the necessity of keeping up with security updates, I would dare not turn off Yum by default without seeing a more wide spread issue.

Profile WWW
User

We have been running it on a test server for a week now with much success.
Here are a few things that we have noticed:
Unable to get mactrack to work
Would like to run Cacti as a less privileged user

Other than that, it all works great

Site Admin

We have been running it on a test server for a week now with much success.
Here are a few things that we have noticed:
Unable to get mactrack to work
Would like to run Cacti as a less privileged user

Other than that, it all works great

Great, glad to see that its working so far.

Mac Track is really still in Beta by the author. There are lots of little quirks in it, and it did take me a day or so to figure it all out and get it working on my network. The main thing is to point it to a switch that has user ports (select Switch as the type) and add the router directly behind this switch (select router, not router/switch for this one). If your switch/router isn't already in the Device type list, you will manually have to add it to the scanner file, as it currently seems to ignore the database and use all hardcoded devices. You can also use the command line switches to "/f /d" to try and debug what is happening. You can see more about this on the thread for this plugin over on the Cacti forums.

What user would you want apache to run as? It already currently is ran as user "apache", which seems fairly locked down to me already. Its the default that CentOS ships with, but if you feel that we should restrict it further, just let me know how and I will make it happen.

Profile WWW
User

actually, I was referring to the user who runs the cactid proc via cron

Site Admin

actually, I was referring to the user who runs the cactid proc via cron

Ahhh, well that is something that we can easily take care of. I will just have to make sure it doesn't break anything first. I will do some testing today and see what happens.

Profile WWW
Site Admin

Just so you know, I am currently on vacation, but development is still continuing. Here are a few of the changes that I have currently implemented.
Code:
Reworked the Kickstart Script
Removed Automatic Reboot
Custom Boot Screen
Cron now runs as Apache
Updated Mac Track Plugin (fixed a few minor issues with the Poller)
Updated Syslog Plugin

I am currently working on SSL for Apache with a self signed certificate. The backup plugin still needs a lot of work. Is there anything else that anyone would like to see added?

I will be uploading a new version for testing on Jan 2 or so.

EDIT: Apache SSL is now running and enabled by default with a Self Signed certificate.

Profile WWW
User

The only other things that would be good to have are some custom templates such as fired interface, fired cpu, APC (Lit's template is very good), pecent bandwidth...

Thanks for all your effort on this

-Eric

User

Post bandwidth & hosting
Jimmy, if it helps any, I can put a box on the net for you use for a mirror.
We have two 100mb pipes for internet access. Hell, I'll install the Cacti CD on it & add either proftpd or vsftpd on it as well as http download,etc.

pm me through the cacti.net forum & I'll send you the ip address & login

Site Admin

Post Re: bandwidth & hosting
egarnel wrote:
Jimmy, if it helps any, I can put a box on the net for you use for a mirror.
We have two 100mb pipes for internet access. Hell, I'll install the Cacti CD on it & add either proftpd or vsftpd on it as well as http download,etc.

pm me through the cacti.net forum & I'll send you the ip address & login

Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it once this goes live, but for the time being, I'm barely utilizing the bandwidth I have on the other server so it should be fine. I will probably be creating a torrent once this is finalized, and will have 2-3 hosts solidly seeding (plus the direct HTTP download).

I do plan on adding a lot more templates to the CD, once I everything else nailed down and done. When Cacti v0.8.6h officially comes out (I'm currently testing beta 4) I will upgrade it to that, and we should be good to go and can go live with it. I will be uploading a new beta on Tuesday (I'm at home at the moment, on a 21K dialup, so I could spend 3 days solid doing it from here, or just wait until I have a chance to get to a fast connection).

I'm currently working on the Backup plugin, hopefully it will be completed soon. The current version is going to be somewhat "dependent" on you using the Cacti CD, but once its complete, everything will be pretty much independent and could even be used on a Windows box.

Profile WWW
Site Admin

By the way, would anyone be interested in having NTop and Netflow installed by default (but not running by default). In case anyone doesn't know what Netflow is, here is a good description.
Quote:
Cisco NetFlow is a technology developed by Cisco that many people are using for IP accounting and billing.
A Cisco router (with NetFlow support) properly configured, exports via UDP to an external machine traffic information in so called flows. The external machine collect such flows and aggregates them as needed.

Ntop is then used to give you useful information on almost everything about your network traffic.

Here are links to some more information on them.
Netflow
NTop
We currently use them at work, with a little extra twist. We log all flow data to a database and keep it for 7 days (its very useful to do SQL Queries against). This ofcourse can get very large, very quickly (our current 7 day database is roughly 4.5 gigs). I probably won't add this part of it unless someone specifically asks for it though.

Profile WWW
User

ntop & netflow would be very helpful to have as well...

Site Admin

In case anyone is bored, or doesn't want to test out the CD, I went ahead and created a quick "Install Video" using VMWare. Its 5 Megs and 2:44 minutes long, but it shows the very simple process. I removed all frames that don't actually change (Its a nice option in VMWare), so it may seem like it installing really fast, but in real life it took a total of 4 and a half mintues to install.

Enjoy
Cacti Install Video

Profile WWW
New User

Post Hi,jimmy:
Quote:
By the way, would anyone be interested in having NTop and Netflow installed by default (but not running by default). In case anyone doesn't know what Netflow is, here is a good description.

Yes,I am interesting in your NTop and Netflow included in Cacti CD by default!

Today I have installed NTop,is NTop 3.2 for SUSE included Netflow,I am newble.Thanks!

How far could your new version Cacti CD (NTop and Netflow included) be download?

Respects your industrious works!

New User

Jiimy, this CD sounds excellent. I would be interested in having NTop with the option you have to log data to a database too.

I'm looking forward to you official release, my current install of Cacti and Ntop is mess to say the least! :-)

Thanks,
Sap

Site Admin

I have now uploaded beta 3. NTop is installed, but not configured since most of it has to be done specifically for your network, and thus can't be automated (maybe possible to make it configurable in Cacti).

Netflow integration will be added in Beta 4 (time is my enemy). Also, this is using beta 4 of v0.8.6h, so its not the newest released version yet (but it all works), so Cacti will be updated in Beta 4 also.

I plan on adding all the templates in Beta 4, so what I need is a list (with links) of the different templates that everyone is interested in seeing on the CD. Let me know what you want, and I will get it put in the next version. I hope to release it the middle of next week, so let me know!

Profile WWW
New User

I am interested in these templates:

1:ORACLE on Unix and Linux

2:Sybase on Unix and Linux

3:mysql on Linux and Wins

4:Apache on Linux and Wins

5:IBM AIX Server,HP_Unix server,HuaWei router,HuaWei switcher

6:Unix、Linux、Wins procedure,it's CPU utility and memory utility.

7:APC ups

8:HP network printers

9:router and switcher's CPU utility and memory utility,such as Cisco,HuaWei

10:Disk's I/O on Linux and Wins.

User

Just installed in on my old (broken) Sentinix box, wish I'd read the whole thread, and exported my hosts first though (groan)... Never mind - didn't have too many configurred, and Cacti makes it easy anyway!

ntop & netflow would be good, I was reading about them when looking for a Seninix replacement!

Argon0

Profile YIM
New User

[quote= I plan on adding all the templates in Beta 4, so what I need is a list (with links) of the different templates that everyone is interested in seeing on the CD. Let me know what you want, and I will get it put in the next version. I hope to release it the middle of next week, so let me know![/quote]

Jimmy,

Some add ons (if possible?):

- Advanced ping
- Windows server 2003 services (up/down)
- Windows server 2003 uptime
- IIS 6.0 http connections

\Xphu

User

<erm> Can you include, either documentation for each of the modules, OR links to Documentation (e.g. how does discover work?)..

Profile YIM
Site Admin

<erm> Can you include, either documentation for each of the modules, OR links to Documentation (e.g. how does discover work?)..

Documentation is in the works. Most of the modules are still evolving so fast, that they documentation becomes outdated fairly quickly. If only I had a secretary to sit here and write / maintain it all, heh.

Profile WWW
User

Since I can't keep up with the breakneck speed of cacti/plugin development and pretty much all my wish items are being worked on by someone on the project I could be coerced into providing documentation. I just need a couple of things.

1. latest version of your wonderful EZCacti cd.(I'll have to run under vmware so that may limit the scope of some docs but I think the bare necessities will at least get covered that way)
2. some sort of CMS to stick text and screen scrapes into (wiki/bb section/blog login ... whatever)
3. list of docs to produce/ topics to cover
4. access to authors for answering questions that I cant dig out of the code(i.e. whats this setting actually do? ... should be a rare thing)

Other than that I think I can at least crank out a few docs. I'm entering a ~6 month period of "brain dead work" while we wait for construction so my days are fixin to get very long if I don't find something to do. Once construction is done I'll be pretty busy so it may be necessary that someone else maintain the docs for a few months but we can cross that bridge when we get there. We sign our space over to the contractors on the 20th so if you can get me some topics to tackle I can start writing.:)

----edit
wow up and running in less than 5 min. took me longer to find the user/pass than it did to install. you ROCK!

User

This is all getting rather good!

Profile YIM
Site Admin

Thanks for the offer, I definitely need the help! I will see about setting up a Wiki, mostly locked down for now (spam bots are horrible on them) so you will have a place to work off of. I can gladly answer any questions about most of the plugins out there.

Also, just updated the CD last night, hope to release by tomorrow. Here are the new changes.
    Updated to CentOS 4.2
    Now running Cacti v0.8.6h not the beta4 as it was before
    Updated CactiD to the latest released
    Updated Discovery Plugin (doesn't use NMap anymore, only internal Cacti functions)
    Updated Mactrack (nearly done, as TheWitness has been hard at work!)
    Updated the Syslog plugin, mainly added a script to graph the results
    Ntop is configured and running by default with http and https (you may need to "tweak" it yourself though)
    Added NTop plugin, so it can be "viewed" from within Cacti.
    Added several more templates, still looking for others to add

I do have a list of things that I still need to "fix" before release, and I do hope to also add Netflow before the day is up, but that may have to wait until the next release if I run into issues.

Profile WWW
Site Admin

Since I can't keep up with the breakneck speed of cacti/plugin development and pretty much all my wish items are being worked on by someone on the project I could be coerced into providing documentation. I just need a couple of things.

1. latest version of your wonderful EZCacti cd.(I'll have to run under vmware so that may limit the scope of some docs but I think the bare necessities will at least get covered that way)
2. some sort of CMS to stick text and screen scrapes into (wiki/bb section/blog login ... whatever)
3. list of docs to produce/ topics to cover
4. access to authors for answering questions that I cant dig out of the code(i.e. whats this setting actually do? ... should be a rare thing)

Other than that I think I can at least crank out a few docs. I'm entering a ~6 month period of "brain dead work" while we wait for construction so my days are fixin to get very long if I don't find something to do. Once construction is done I'll be pretty busy so it may be necessary that someone else maintain the docs for a few months but we can cross that bridge when we get there. We sign our space over to the contractors on the 20th so if you can get me some topics to tackle I can start writing.:)

----edit
wow up and running in less than 5 min. took me longer to find the user/pass than it did to install. you ROCK!

Fire off an email to me (jimmy -2- sqmail.org) and we will see what we can put together. I don't mind giving you ftp access to store any images you need, and full admin access on a wiki.

Profile WWW
User

If I can help at all, testing or whatever, just ask.

I'm new to this Ntop thing - it looks useful, but why would I want to run NetFlow on a Cacti machine - is Netflow not an agent for ntop (or rather is ntop not a "monitor" for netflow)?... Or have I got that completely wrong?

NetFlow looks like something I should be aware of - running it on our Core switches, and using ntop to monitor the output...

Argon0

Profile YIM
Site Admin

If I can help at all, testing or whatever, just ask.

I'm new to this Ntop thing - it looks useful, but why would I want to run NetFlow on a Cacti machine - is Netflow not an agent for ntop (or rather is ntop not a "monitor" for netflow)?... Or have I got that completely wrong?

NetFlow looks like something I should be aware of - running it on our Core switches, and using ntop to monitor the output...

Argon0

Netflow allows you to monitor all aspects of your network traffic. For instance with Cacti, you can monitor the outgoing traffic on your border routers, but if you have a spike, there is no easy way to know who caused it and where it was heading. Netflow information is basically a map of every connection that flowed through that router. It logs hosts, ports, protocols, etc... you can then use this information to find top talkers, most used ports, conversations between devices, and so much more. What we mainly use it for is to find who is causing the spikes, and what they are doing, but that is all we actually require of it.

Netflow can actually feed its information into NTop, so that you now have a pretty interface to actual view all this information with and to have it correlate the information for you. Otherwise you would have to mirror ports on a switch inorder to have NTop properly pull all the info about your network, instead of just what comes to the box.

I would really like to get the Netflow up and running before releasing the next beta, so it will probably be Monday before I can release it. But once its out, I will need a few people to test it to ensure that its working properly.

Profile WWW
User

So.... Lets see if I've got this right...

You use NetFlow to collect the Netflow data provided by the Cisco Switches/Routers? And then you use NTop to display that data in a pretty way?

Pleased to help with testing - especially if it includes a way of upgrading what I've just done...

Profile YIM
User

You asked for templates/plugins we'd like to see included?

This one looks cool: http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=11589

Anything that can monitor Exchange would be good.

Profile YIM
User

From this: http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=8821

Squid:
http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=4142

And any way of monitorring Mail Queue and SendMail .... (sorry can't find templates to do those...)

Profile YIM
New User

I hate to seem like a complete idiot here but how the hell do I access cacti after the install? Everything installed ok but I cannot figure out how to manage the server now? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks.

Site Admin

I hate to seem like a complete idiot here but how the hell do I access cacti after the install? Everything installed ok but I cannot figure out how to manage the server now? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks.

You first have to logon to the console to determine the IP address, the username and password is on the first post in this thread.

Are you familar with Linux, or do you need some pointers? Do you have DHCP enabled on your network, or do you need to set it as static?

Once you have the IP, you just goto
http://serverip/
and there is Cacti!

Profile WWW
New User

Yeah. I figured it was something as simple as that yet when I try to go to the servers web servers IP I get nothing.

I can get around Linux ok. Yes, DHCP is enabled.

I also noticed the webserver was not even running for some reason. Still was unable to bring up a web site after starting it.

Thanks.

New User

jimmy... nm... I just just ran the disk again and everything is up! Think I picked an install other than "Personal Desktop" when that screen came up. My bad...

Nice work on the installer!!

Site Admin

jimmy... nm... I just just ran the disk again and everything is up! Think I picked an install other than "Personal Desktop" when that screen came up. My bad...

Nice work on the installer!!

It prompted you for "personal desktop"? Did you add any extra options in on boot up? It shouldn't prompt you for anything but to take out the CD!

Profile WWW
New User

The first time through I pressed "Enter" at the boot promt... does that matter?

User

go to the web address of the server you installed Cacti on. It is the default directory, so type in http://yourhost/ Do not add the cacti dir at the end.

or https

User

To access the Webmin console use the address https://serverip:10000/

and welcome to the wonderful world of webmin... :P

Profile YIM
User

another thing which would be good on CactiEZ:

Nagios check_nt - to enable Exchange graphing (as far as I can work out).

Argon0

Profile YIM
Site Admin

another thing which would be good on CactiEZ:

Nagios check_nt - to enable Exchange graphing (as far as I can work out).

Argon0

I will see about adding this in, as if I do, there are all sorts of nice Windows templates that can be added to monitor servers.

Profile WWW
User

Profile YIM
New User

Site Admin

As an update, I now have Netflow collecting and saving to both a database, and passing the info along to NTop. I had to downgrade NTop to v3.1, as v3.2 would crash everytime I tried to configure Netflow on it (Clicking on the Configure link for Netflow in Ntop causing all NTop pages to show blank until you restart the service.) I will see if I can get it working later.

Next on the list is adding Nagios, which shouldn't take long at all I hope.

Profile WWW
User

User

Do you include an "update existing configuration" option?

Argon0

Profile YIM
User

I'm not sure you want to install nagios (IMHO it's a configuration/administration nightmare) besides cacti with plugins does almost everything that nagios does but much more simply. If you do venture down that path look into monarch http://www.itgroundwork.com/products/gwm-architect.html it makes configuration less painful (though last I looked it was a bit wonky with nagios 2.0)

User

I have to agree. As cool as nagios is, it is a lot of work to get going. Being a one-man shop, it is hard to allocate enough time to fiddle with it.
We currently run Cacti, Big Brother, various scripts, etc. and are really looking forward to have Cacti do most of the stuff.

User

ONe of the reasons to include Nagios is that the Nagios Windows client can be used by Cacti (via some of the plugins).

Profile YIM
New User

Perhaps it can be added with an enable/disable option? I for one would love to have it added...

User

Profile YIM
User

As near as I can tell you dont need to have Nagios installed to be able to use the nagios plugins. Heres the cacti post on this subject:
http://forums.cacti.net/about1041-15.html

If you read through what it is he is doing you will see he is using cacti to get information from the Nagios windows agent using a Nagios plugin. All that is required is a little scripting. Plugins for nagios can be downloaded off sourceforge, nothing that I can see is required of the Nagios install as the script calls the plugin directly and the plugin talks to the agent. I can't see a reason to install Nagios.

Anything that Nagios can do cacti can do (simpler), all it takes is the right template, script, or plugin.

New User

Speaking of templates... are there going to be more templates in the future revs? If so, what types of templates are to be added?

Site Admin

Speaking of templates... are there going to be more templates in the future revs? If so, what types of templates are to be added?

Currently only added several Cisco Router and VPN Concentrator templates, IIS bytes sent / received, and a graph of Windows Services.

I wouldn't mind adding any other that anyone recommends. I have several others (Weather, etc...) bookmarked to add once I get to it. What I need are direct links to the topics that they are posted in on the Cacti forums, just giving me suggetsions like "Windows Memory" doesn't really help me much.

Also, I will not be addin Nagios by default (maybe installed, but not running or configured), it truely is a pain. I also will not add templates that require the SNMP Informant Advanced or anything but the free version.

Profile WWW
New User

Lots of thanks and congratulations for the work that everyone has put into Cacti. It truly is an amazing thing !

Is there any chance that you could add the following template to the next version as I have found it very useful to get a quick picture of what amount of traffic is flowing through an interface.

I have exported the templates into a single file for all (I didn't create them so I won't take any credit for them)

Another feature that would be hand is the ability to add in a VRULE marker to allow you to insert reference points into the host graphs. This would allow you to see correlation of information pre and post and event such as a new application installation. I though it would be similar to the 95th percentile marker but be based on a manually entered event for a given host.

I don't know if anyone has started this but thought I might mention it anyway.

As far as template requests go, I would love to see CBWFQ and NBAR templates implemented for Cisco routers.

Many thanks,

User

Profile YIM
User

Sorry to be a pain, but do you have/know of a mechanism to successfully back up our existing CactiEZ configs and data and restore them to a new box?

i.e. from a previous "beta"...

Argon0

Profile YIM
New User

Installation less then 10 Minutes!

Additions I would like to have in Cacti:

-export2pdf plugin
Home: http://kalika.no-ip.com
Cacti-Forum: http://forums.cacti.net/about10234.html

-nagios plugin
Home: http://www.divagater.com/npc/
Cacti-Forum: http://forums.cacti.net/about10327.html

-reports plugin
http://cactiusers.org/downloads/

-ntop plugin

-tools

Additions I would like to have in Linux:

-Nagios unconfigured

:)

User

The NPC plugin looks interesting, we should probably start a thread with links to other plugin sites. I had a glance at the code and noticed that the realm ids collide with the monitoring plugin. Thats an easy enough fix though.

Just out of curiosity what extra funtionality do you get with nagios that currently isn't available in cacti or one of the plugins? I know the alerting logic is a lot more complex and you have other methods of alerting (like paging). I haven't actually used nagios in a production environment in several years so I'm sure there are some changes/features I dont know about.

~p

New User

I have some suggestions for templates that I would like to see included, I wish I could grasp the technicalities of Cacti so that I could create and add stuff myself but it is beyond me! :-) I haven't managed to read every post in this thread yet but I have been trying to follow it for a while.

I would like to see a template for Linux hosts that includes multiple CPU graphs like this -

http://forums.cacti.net/about11615.html ... +processes

I would also like to see a template that can monitor processes on a Linux host for me, for example I would like to make sure at least one "httpd" process is running on my web server, if the number of "httpd" processes drops to zero the THOLD plugin would alert me to the problem by sending an email. I haven't found any examples of this one anywhere. I know that something like this will return a list of running processes -

snmpwalk -OQ -Ov -v1 -c public localhost .1.3.6.1.2.1.25.4.2.1.2

But I have no idea how to get it onto a graph in Cacti so that THOLD can alert me when necessary.

One last thing I would like to see is a template that includes monitoring of RAID arrays on servers. Most of our servers are Dell, the Openmanage SNMP thingy provides some useful stuff but the only examples I have seen are to do with getting temperature and fan speed.

I know that there are other product such as Nagios that do this kind of stuff but I would prefer not to use that and do everything in Cacti and get all the info I need about machines via SNMP whereas with Nagios I think you have to install agents on the machines you want to monitor right?

Anyway, thats my bit, I hope my suggestions are useful. If there is anything non-techie you want me to do let me know. :-)

Sapan

New User

The reason why I want to have nagios installed by default (no need to configure more than localhost for example) is that I already use nagios and know how to configure it. If you have configurationfiles for more than 100 machines you don't want to configure everything in cacti again ;)

And I can handle nagios better than cacti.

And for an example, what I miss in cacti is a tool that can monitor a webpage with searching a textsring to be sure that the right page was displayed.
You can do that with nagios, it's very easy.

And I think installing nagios is more difficult if you do it the first time because you have to be careful with userrights of files. Configuration is no problem.

And for people saying "I hate vi":
There are already webfrontends for nagios for easy adding new host with a button "add" on this page:

NagiosQL
http://test.secretdoor.ch/nagiosQL/

Nag2Web:
http://nag2web.de/index.php?section=gallery

:)

But one thing is importand to know if you want to use nagios with the nagios plugin for cacti:

from readmefile:

- Nagios 2.0b4 or later compiled with --enable-event-broker

* Earlier releases will not work do to changes in the event broker architecture.

- MySQL 4.1.x

* You will need the MySQL development RPM's to compile the inserter module.

- InnoDB support (The NPC tables will be created as InnoDB).

I tested it with mysql 4.0 and mysql 5.0 under debian sarge.... it wasn't working!
So you need 4.1.

Maybe I could do most with cacti what I could with nagios but there is one big problem:

I don't have the time to figure out everything I need because I need it "now" :) <--- now means in near future

My boss wants from me:
cacti as an alternative to mrtg
nagios 2.0 as upgrade to Netsaint
ntop for netflows .... maybe some other tools that can convert old netflow data (plain text) into different reports....but I am not working on this for longer time because he needs me for helping out with servicerequests from employees (~ 400 employees).
So there is no time for other projects.

So you see your CD is really what I needed!
Some time ago I thought about creating an out of the box solution by myself. I thought about using CoLinux or VMWare for this.
With the VMWare player everybody could use it for free without buying VMWare.

But again time was the problem.

Would be great to see nagios on the list :)

Site Admin

Jimmy,

I have some suggestions for templates that I would like to see included, I wish I could grasp the technicalities of Cacti so that I could create and add stuff myself but it is beyond me! :-) I haven't managed to read every post in this thread yet but I have been trying to follow it for a while.

I would like to see a template for Linux hosts that includes multiple CPU graphs like this -

http://forums.cacti.net/about11615.html ... +processes

That looks like its worth while to add, never saw it, and I have several situations in which it could be useful, thanks!

sapg wrote:
I would also like to see a template that can monitor processes on a Linux host for me, for example I would like to make sure at least one "httpd" process is running on my web server, if the number of "httpd" processes drops to zero the THOLD plugin would alert me to the problem by sending an email. I haven't found any examples of this one anywhere. I know that something like this will return a list of running processes -

snmpwalk -OQ -Ov -v1 -c public localhost .1.3.6.1.2.1.25.4.2.1.2

But I have no idea how to get it onto a graph in Cacti so that THOLD can alert me when necessary.

I would have to a take a deeper look into this, but it looks interesting enough that I could probably throw something together real quick.

sapg wrote:
One last thing I would like to see is a template that includes monitoring of RAID arrays on servers. Most of our servers are Dell, the Openmanage SNMP thingy provides some useful stuff but the only examples I have seen are to do with getting temperature and fan speed.

I know that there are other product such as Nagios that do this kind of stuff but I would prefer not to use that and do everything in Cacti and get all the info I need about machines via SNMP whereas with Nagios I think you have to install agents on the machines you want to monitor right?

Anyway, thats my bit, I hope my suggestions are useful. If there is anything non-techie you want me to do let me know. :-)

Sapan

If you find a template to monitor the RAID, I could easily add it, but I don't have anything to test it against, so I can't create it myself.

Profile WWW
New User

Isn't that a standard template.

The standard template does not include separate percentile markers for inbound and outbound or traffic amount

User

Profile YIM
New User

I found something for the RAID monitoring idea, funnily enough I found a script that is a plugin for Nagios! :-)

[url]http://www.nagiosexchange.org/DELL_Server.61.0.html?&tx_netnagext_pi1[p_view]=392
[/url]

It does say that you need the MIBs for all your hardware in your MIB repository but that should be easy to find from the Dell website. I'll have to do a quick audit of all my hardware and collect all the MIBs I need.

Sapan

User

Raddy - tried that template - but just get 95th Percentile as 0 for all... Checked the calculation it seems to be right, but no idea why its coming up as 0....

Any ideas?

Profile YIM
New User

Post Can't install
Hi people,

I download de ISO image and try to install in PC and VMWare. In both the following message appear:

ISOLINUX 2.11 2004-08-16 Copyright (c) 1994-2004 H. Peter Alvin

The system freeze on this screen. I try in 2 more PCs with the same result.

Anyone can explain this behavior ?

Thank's

User

what version of vmware? also, what OS is the host machine? how much memory are you setting for the vm?

I had no problems installing the beta in vmware 5.5.1 on Suse10.

New User

I use VMWare Workstation 5.5.1. My virtual machine was defined with 192Mb of RAM and 2Gb of HD.

Exist any minimum hardware to support the instalation ?

Regards

Site Admin

I haven't tried it under 5.5 yet, as I am running 5.0 here locally. I will see about updating over the weekend to see if I run into any issues.

Profile WWW
New User

Post Corrupted Image
Guys,

Thank's for help, the image thar I was using is corrupted.

I re-download and now the installation start ok.

Thank's

User

User

I'd like to request phpmyadmin or adjust the max number of db/tables displayed in webmins mysql plugin (by default the cacti db won't display)

User

Well, I've tried installing Nagios Plugins, but no joy, yet... I've downloaded the load of default plugins, but can't compile them!!!

Anybody know of compiled version of Check_nt that will work with CactiEZ?

Argon0

Profile YIM
User

here's a compiled check_nt from my slack box. It seems to run but I can't actually test it against a host so let me know if it seems broken.

User

<doh> there is a compiled check_nt in the nsclient software for Windows - one for Linux, one for Solaris, and that's about where I stopped looking...

(after having installed the whole of Nagios that is...)

Profile YIM
User

Something else that you need to be aware of when using nsclient/check_nt is that the scripts/templates that are out there do not all use the same path to check_nt, some assume its in the cacti/scripts directory some assume its in the Nagios/plugins directory ...

Profile YIM
User

The best source that I've come across so far is: http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t ... highlight=

Profile YIM
New User

For my process monitoring idea I have refined my snmpwalk command....still not sure I'm going about this the right way.

snmpwalk -OQ -Ov -v1 -c public host1 .1.3.6.1.2.1.25.4.2.1.2 |sort |uniq -c

User

Hmm.. If you are talking about Windows boxes you can do it via nsclient/perfmon & check_nt very easily - in fact you can monitor individual processes.

Profile YIM
New User

Post Having Problems with the discovery plugin
Was a quick install and all and setup was cake, but I am finding that discovery will not scan my network...... I have a winxp box that has the discovery plugin and it works fine but not on the linux box..... any ideas?

Site Admin

Post Re: Having Problems with the discovery plugin
afterdark230 wrote:
Was a quick install and all and setup was cake, but I am finding that discovery will not scan my network...... I have a winxp box that has the discovery plugin and it works fine but not on the linux box..... any ideas?

The current CD has the old version of Discover on it, which uses NMap, and which had issues. The current one uses Cacti's internal functions, and runs a lot smoother. Hopefully the new CD will be out soon.

Profile WWW
New User

Post Good to hear
We can only hope it has it on it.... is there any way to change the one on the cd or no?

Site Admin

Post Re: Good to hear
afterdark230 wrote:
We can only hope it has it on it.... is there any way to change the one on the cd or no?

Maybe I should reword that... The currently released CD has the old version on it, the new still unreleased has the newest on it. Pretty much the same one you can get from the download page. If you want, after installing the current released CD, you can download the newest discover plugin and just wipe out the old one and drop in the files for the new one. Thats the great thing about plugins, they are simple to update.

Profile WWW
New User

Here is a tip for anyone installing CactiEZ on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 laptop. If you find that your network card does not work edit /etc/grub.conf and add -

acpi=off

to the end of the kernel line and reboot. Took me a while to figure that out :-)

I also downloaded the latest discovery plugin and tried that but it still won't discover anything. I think I'll just wait for the next CD release. Mactrack does not seem to do anything either but I doubt that is something I would use anyway.

Does anyone have a way of monitoring processes running on a machine yet?

Thanks,
Sapan

New User

argon0, sorry, I just saw your post. Most of my machines are Linux boxes so I would like to monitor running processes by SNMP. You method for Windows boxes sounds interesting though. I have no idea how I could put that into Cacti though. I'm going to go and find out what nslient is now :-)

Thanks,
Sapan

New User

Post Parse Memory error
Running Beta3, detects mouse etc then errors ending with XMLPARSEMEMORY buffer size the exits

User

Is this a fresh install or did it work for a few days then die?
Have you tried a re-install?
Do you have any "funky" USB devices?

New User

Fresh install well about 1 min into it :). Nothing funky just a HP Evo DC7100 desktop pc unit.

User

So you don't even get past the initial setup?
my first guess was ram but looking up the specs:
Processor Type Pentium 4
Processor Speed 3.0 GHz , 2.8 GHz
Installed RAM 512 MB , 256 MB
Hard Drive Capacity 40 GB , 80 GB

That should be plenty.

can you run a ram test on it?

Site Admin

Post Re: Parse Memory error
DwayneDibbley wrote:
Running Beta3, detects mouse etc then errors ending with XMLPARSEMEMORY buffer size the exits

I know its a pain, but do you think you can get me the exact error message? Its much easier to debug once I got the whole thing to do some research with.

Is it something like this?
Code:
File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2.py", line 975, in parseMemory
    ret = libxml2mod.xmlParseMemory(buffer, size)

Profile WWW
New User

from the linux disc? this machine had 2003 running on it before fine. i also get the same error when running the linux install manually. I will get the exact error tommorow morning for you.

Thanks

PS is the ntop in the build yet or still in progress

Site Admin

Quote:
from the linux disc? this machine had 2003 running on it before fine. i also get the same error when running the linux install manually. I will get the exact error tommorow morning for you.

Thanks

PS is the ntop in the build yet or still in progress

NTop 3.1 is included in the build, I also included a flow collector that logs to a database to allow for running sql queries against it (very nice once you get to a situation where you need it). Saves the last 7 days in the database, and the last 1 day of files on the HD (so you re-import if it dies). The collector imports to the database every 1 minute, and also transfers the data to NTop if you have a netflow device setup on it (export your flows to port 2055 to the collector, and use port 2056 in Ntop, as that is what I export to). I have to use a few custom scripts inorder for a few things to happen, like the importing, cleanup, etc... and I will be working on getting a few of the hardcoded options (like save X days of data) integrated into Cacti itself. If you don't want the database option, you can just stop the flow-capture service, and then set NTop to collect on 2055.

I initially had NTop 3.2 running, but the Netflow plugin included in NTop would crash everytime you tried to even configure it, so I downgraded.

I will see about uploading beta 4 in a few hours, not many more templates have been added yet, as I have mainly been working on getting the NTop setup.

Profile WWW
New User

Attached Error shots from the install error easier than writing it all down

User

I've got CactiEZ installed and running, with 34 hosts, graphing lots of stuff nicely, almost...

My polling is taking 293 seconds or longer, so stuff isn't completing in the 300 second cycle.

Advice I have been given is to update to the latest version of Cactid - (0.8.6g), but I don't seem to be able to - YUM doesn't want to update, and the RPM package (of cactid) I downloaded from Cacti.net does not want to install (dependency Hell! - whcih is what yum is supposed to rescue me from!).

If I try yum update from command line (rather than webmin) with the -d 9 switch I get:

Code:
yum -d 9 update
Yum Version: 2.2.1
COMMAND: yum -d 9 update
Installroot: /
Setting up Update Process
Setting up Repos
Baseurl(s) for repo: ['http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/updates/i386/']
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/updates/i386/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (110, 'Connection timed out')>
Trying other mirror.
Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: update
failure: repodata/repomd.xml from update: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

Anybody know how to fix this? Apart from installing new CactiEZ CD... Which I want to do, but need to copy my current config, including my self made patches across.... Ah and does curretn CactiEZ include cactid .8.6g?

Argon0

(sorry going to double post this over in the help forum, if there is one).

Profile YIM
User

that happens from time to time with centos

copy your CentOS-Base.repo to CentOS-Base.repo.bak
edit the CentOS-Base.repo and change mirrorlist.centos.org to an actual mirror site - see centos.org for a list of mirrors

and try it again.
you can move the original file back in place later on to see if the mirrorlist is synced up. Also keep the tweaked file as a backup if it occurs again.

User

Post logrotate
logrotate was failing on a few files and exiting abnormally
I removed '/var/log/boot.log' and '/var/log/cron' from /etc/logrotate.d/syslog
and added '/var/www/html/log/cacti.log'
logrotate now works fine

Site Admin

Post Re: logrotate
egarnel wrote:
logrotate was failing on a few files and exiting abnormally
I removed '/var/log/boot.log' and '/var/log/cron' from /etc/logrotate.d/syslog
and added '/var/www/html/log/cacti.log'
logrotate now works fine

Hum... I haven't bothered with logrotate yet, but it might be a good idea for me to preconfigure it also. Thanks.

Profile WWW
Site Admin

CactiD isn't installed via the RPM on the CD, as I precompiled it (less packages that way).

I have already compiled version G for the newest beta CD, so I will just go ahead and attach them here. You can just override your current ones with these and they should work just fine.

Profile WWW
New User

I initially had NTop 3.2 running, but the Netflow plugin included in NTop would crash everytime you tried to even configure it, so I downgraded.

I had the same trouble, but I upgraded to the latest CVS code, which works just fine & has many enhancements (better performance, especially with NetFlow; Layer 7 decoding)

Suggest you do the same for CactiEZ :)

F

Site Admin

Quote:

I had the same trouble, but I upgraded to the latest CVS code, which works just fine & has many enhancements (better performance, especially with NetFlow; Layer 7 decoding)

Suggest you do the same for CactiEZ :)

F

I will check it out now, thanks!

Profile WWW
New User

Actually I'm still getting troubles with the CVS NetFlow :/
Better than before but still not great.
I'll try & get a trace off to them...

F

New User

Raddy - tried that template - but just get 95th Percentile as 0 for all... Checked the calculation it seems to be right, but no idea why its coming up as 0....

Any ideas?

Sorry for the delay, there was an issue with the template referencing the wrong data source. try this.

EDIT: have adjusted the percentile markers to reflect correct value.

Site Admin

Post CactiEZ CD beta 4
There is now a new version of the CD out. I have been running short of time lately, so this is more of an incremental release than a complete release.

This topic is now locked. You can find the newest forum topic to discuss this here.
http://cactiusers.org/forums/topic281.html

Profile WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 147  Next